Saturday, August 21, 2010

Another New Path Taken


Let's not call this a mid-life crisis. Ho-no. First of all, there is no set mid-life in today's age of modern longevity. It could be another 10 to 15 years. Second, the word "crisis" is not in my vocabulary.

After working three long-years leading a non-profit organization away from my family, I decided to hang up my hat and come back home without any regard of a new job. Some may call it selfish and irresponsible putting your family in a vulnerable situation (mortgage, groceries, insurance, etc.)

It really is about sprouting a new limb in this tree of life. In order for this new growth to occur, it requires strong roots, healthy soil conditions and nuturing from a caretaker. Those roots came from my family upbringing. Growing up as a military dependent with a tight bond of siblings, I had to adapt to my surroundings and the environment. Healthy soil conditions reference to my current state of health both physical and mental. I knew where I was heading and I know regardless of the unknown, that I am mentally tough. Lastly, the nurturing caretaker is none other than my soulmate - my wife. Despite the burdens she has carried with four children and a career, she understands and supports me.

This does not mean I'm going to flounder in the unemployment line. In Michigan, it is too common and too depressing for many out there. I can't afford to fall in that quagmire despite the sour economic output. I am out there whether they know it or not. I'm on it whether your care or not.

In the coming months, Michigan is truly at the "Tipping Point" with new political leaders vying for new seats in our State senate and house. Only what are you going to do about shaping the issues at hand that will impact us all - whether your blue or red.

No comments:

Post a Comment